For as many challenges as we've faced in the past few years, I see a movement stirring around the kindness, empathy, and understanding that I see turning the tides of many organizations' value sets.
In my last blog, I talked about one of our values here at AGE-u-cate: Doing the Right Thing for the Right Reason. Easy, right?! It is easy to cultivate this as a company value when you seek team members who personally embrace the same because you've wisely chosen the right people who believe so.
Kindness, empathy, and understanding are personal values first. Think of a particular person in your life that has these values. How do they make you feel? Cared for, valued, respected might be a few descriptives that come to mind.
American internet entrepreneur and venture capitalist Tony Hsieh stated:
"Your personal core values define who you are, and a company's core values define the company's character and brand."
Practicing kindness, empathy, and understanding as a core value builds teams and company's that naturally embrace these principles. It's what I often refer to as the "inside-out" effect. Everything starts from the inside and moves out.
Here are 5 things that will happen when you prioritize these three words as your company's core value:
- You will naturally attract people whose ethical beliefs mirror those of your company.
- At the same time, those who don't follow the same moral compass will find other places to work.
- Your "kindness team" will be individuals with a greater sense of well-being, who naturally lift other team members up, and this magical effect spills to clients, customers, colleagues, partners, and collaborators.
- It is magical when others perceive your organization as a kind, empathetic, and understanding company because your people practice the same principles!
- Your business will then attract customers, clients, collaborators who have the same values. You build trusted partnerships and a respected name in your industry when this happens. Isn't this what it's all about?
Don't underestimate the exponential effects of kindness, empathy, and understanding as a core value of your organization.
" Do your little bits of good where you are; it's those little bits of good put together that overwhelms the world.".... Desmond Tutu
AGE-u-cate is taking a survey of how our values line up with yours. We'd love your input!